Tuesday, September 25, 2012

DIY Projects - Home Recording Studio. (Protools)

DIY Projects - Home Recording Studio.  (Protools)



The first thing you want to do when starting a home recording studio is use as much of your resources online as you can, Watch YouTube videos, Read as much as you can, because knowledge is power.. when i started getting into recording music, I was using YouTube for everything, YouTube has shown me tricks and hints on basically anything I've searched for, for example if you search home recording studio on YouTube, I'm sure the first video you watch will teach you something new that you didn't know before. I myself have searched on a few occasions on different mixing and digital mastering techniques. Music producing is a skill/trade that you'll always learn something new..

OK so now you think your ready to see what equipment is out there..
In my own experience, I've purchased a few analog and digital control surfaces, to me they all sounded really good in there own ways.. Here is are few that I've used and owned at one point or another: Behringer, Soundtech, Allen&Heath, and a Mackie MCU Pro. I have alot of experience on Digidesign products as well..

Right now, at the studio I'm working at today: I'm running Protools LE, M-Box Pro, with a Mackie MCU Pro control surface (motorized faders). Let me point out that you don't need a fancy mixer or control surface to use protools, everything on that software can be controlled from you mouse and keyboard and your digidesign sound card. To tell you the truth i rarely use my control surfaces because I'm so used to using the mouse and keyboard, Just saying.. OK so everything here is all running on a dell quad core windows 7 computer. Speed and Space of a computer means alot when doing anything with editing video or music files.. You want as much ram and hard drive space you can fit into the case of your computer, I can't stress that enough, because once you start having people pay you for your time, you don't what clicking and pops while your recording or playing back files. BTW- I'm not talking about latency problems.. also once you start adding plugins to sessions that will eat up alot of processes on your computer as well.  

OK so now you know you need:
a fast computer (alot of memory, large hard drive)            

Now u need a good pair of speakers, I definitely recommend going to a store and testing out all their studio speakers (Studio Monitors). so you can actually decide what sound and brand you want for yourself.

When i went to Samash, I decided to get a pair of Mackie Bi-Amplified Powered Studio Monitors, which means two amps in each speaker box, one amp for highs, and one amp for lows..   Because i got a really good deal on them and they sounded really good for the price.   
But be warned.. Be prepared to spend over 300$ for a pair of powered studio monitors..





OK so now you know you need:
a fast computer (alot of memory, large hard drive), and a good pair of studio monitors.. 

Whats next?? I'll tell you whats next.. Sound card!

well not exactly a sound card it's more like a sound hub.. They Run off of USB and Fire wire cables. I recommend if your just starting out, to start with something basic but reliable. For around $150 you can buy a new M-Box Mini, They have 2channels Ins/Outs.. and let me tell you these are good pieces to own, there very portable, and pack a punch for the money.

If you have alot of money to spend then go all out and pick up a Digidesign 003 rack which is around $2000+. They have 8 channels Ins/Outs.. It's a solid piece and i believe can be linked to more if you need more channels.. Either route you choose, just know that u need one of these sound hubs to run protools, without it the software will crash to desktop every time.. It just won't load up..





OK so now you know you need:
a fast computer (alot of memory, large hard drive), a good pair of studio monitors, and a Digidesign Sound Card..



Whats Next??   Microphones, Shock mounts, and Pop Filters.

In my opinion a good basic mic that i can recommend is a Samson C01 Condenser Mic, I paired it with a Samson SP01 Shock mount Kit, and a basic Pop Filter i found at samash.. all together with a mic stand ran about $200. To be honest, I've never had one complaint about mic quality and/or performance while using it at any of my studios. Once again, the best way to descide for yourself is to take a trip to the music store and test it for yourself.

Well i hope i helped a little, and good luck finding your sound, Cheers.





No comments:

Post a Comment